Saturday 25 May 2013

Image compression



Experiment

 

Here, I needed to find out the differences between file sizes between a plain and busy photograph.

I realised the more light and detail involved within images, increases the image file size.


Busy image - this image has so much involved. The file size was 1.47MB
(compressed for web at 60 quality making it 98.3KB and 500 px wide)




 
















Plain image - This image of the shed wall (even with a few other objects in the way) is 1.35MB
(compressed for web at 60 quality making it 64.6KB and 500 px wide)

















The differences in file sizes between the two prove that a plainer image is smaller in file size, than a more detailed one. So if a client needed small file size, the backgrounds should be very simple.




If I had a brief to make a web advert to promote a city car, I would go for an plain background as I discovered it would be a smaller image file size and easier for a web browser to upload.

Though the brief is advertising for a city car, I really actually don't want to take the idea away that it's for a city. I would not put a desert or country side background behind it.  

I guess I would find city elements that are less detailed or if it's a still image, find an angle to shoot the car where the background isn't so in focus. Maybe the car takes up a great deal of the image.

For example this picture of an electric city car. I can't really tell what the background is, but I presume it isn't taking up a load of the file size. But it's not a beach or grass, there appears to be concrete or a flat road, which is what this car drives on.

I guess this would be take on designing this type of advert, sticking to the concept as best as I can. 

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment