Sunday 19 May 2013

Backgrounds for web pages


 Web backgrounds I like!

 















I really like the look of these web page backgrounds for the following reasons.

They are all similar in the way they use space, to attract the viewer through its photography.
It almost appears that you are in front of the buildings or seeing the cafe waitress in front of you.

I love the colours in each of these photography backgrounds.
They are easy on the eye and have nice rich darker tones, where you can use white fonts that make the text pop out and not get lost within the photo.
 



 

 

   My web background

 

 

Here, I used my flatbed scan art to create a photography web background.

I used a gradient that shared the colour tones in the photograph and made a slight gradient on top of the photo, then saved it as a 960 pixel wide, 50 quality JPG.

If this were to work as a web background, I would have white texts or transparent boxes like in my examples above to display web content much clearer. 




   Gradients using a thin repeating jpg 

 

 Screenshot of my web gradient.  
1920px wide jpg, a few pixels tall, saved as 100 quality JPEG.
 


   Seamless tile

















 I made a tile, choosing to do it with a picture of flower petals.

I think some important things to consider are being very careful with the spot healing, cloning and smudging tools. It's very easy to make mistakes so try not to get frustrated like I do!

Some seams were easy to hide and others more difficult. It is also handy to simply just copy parts of the image, resize to match the other parts in the image and blend them in.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne, I really like your seamless tile. You did a really great job on it and it looks amazing. I took the easy way out with a tile that naturally tessellated easily but it looks like yours would have taken a fair bit of effort to get looking that good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran, thank you very much :)

      I like blending and smudging haha, but just makes it so easy to ruin if you over do it.

      Some areas worked better than others to blend and stitch together. It's less noticable too if not zoomed in hehe.

      Cheers :)

      Delete